Newington Armory - home of EagleCAM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
Click on an image to see a larger view
 

A detailed History of the Newington Armory is available from the Sydney Olympic Park Authority website. Or Detailed History of the Newington Armory at Robert Curran,s web site RAN Armament Depot Newington.

The Newington Armory site was settled around 1807 with a colonial land grant to the pioneering Blaxland family - famous for crossing the Blue Mountains. Some of the existing character of the area still remains today with the woodlands where the Eagles nest is situated.

Armory Entrance Gate

The Newington Armory was first established around 1895 to 1897 for the "Ordnance Store Corps: Branch of the Military Secretary's Department. In 1901 the Armory was subsumed into the Commonwealth of Australia Military Forces, later the Australian Army.

Armory Buildings   Wharf Cranes

The Armory, known as the Military Magazine, supported the Army until 1921 when it was transferred to the Department of Navy to help with its existing Magazine at Spectacle Island.

Heritage Train   Armory Buildings

When World War 2 started the Magazine Depot was greatly expanded by acquiring property from the Carnarvon Golf Course and the New South Wales Brickyards. During the Pacific War a US Navy Armament Depot was established.

Armory Wharf

From the mid 1950s the Government started to transfer mass-detonating explosives to other depots but Newington still stored other categories of explosives. In 1994 it was announced that the Armory would close because of the 2000 Olympic Games and in 1999 the navy finally vacated the site.

Armory Sign
,
Detailed History of the Newington Armory at Robert Curran,s web site RAN Armament Depot Newington.
or
Detailed History of the Newington Armory at Sydney Olympic Park.
-----------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~----------------